The DistRogue

Monday, February 12, 2007

Compiz on Ubuntu

First Fedora, now Ubuntu... Really. Sure, I've run Beryl on Ubuntu before, but never on my laptop- it keeps crashing X. But I fond this link when I was browsing the #ubuntu-xgl channel on irc.freenode.net. Within minutes, the cube was back on my laptop- which, again, has horrible specs (i810, 800MHz Celeron, 320MB RAM). Of course, being able to turn it back off would help...
What this tutorial leaves out is that you have to turn on AIGLX on your system for it to work. You do this by editing xorg.conf:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then, add the following line in the "Device" section for your graphics card:
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Finally, add this code at the end, assuming it's not there:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Then, follow the instructions and type "compiz-tray-icon".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home